14 Jun 2018

Family killed in house fire had removed smoke alarm batteries

From Morning Report, 8:25 am on 14 June 2018

A couple and their 8-year-old son who died in a fire had taken out the batteries to their smoke alarms because it stopped working when their flat got too cold. Tej and Tika Kafle and their son Prem were killed when an electric plastic kettle they bought two weeks earlier started a fire in their flat Waimate near Timaru in the South Island. Jessie Chiang has been looking into the story. She joins Guyon Espiner with the details.